HISTORY & ARCHITECTURE
Sedaiges was already in 1230 the seat of a feudal justice: Pierre de Sédaiges was then gentleman of the court of Rodez. The castle was composed of a dungeon attached to living quarters which opened onto a fortified interior courtyard, flanked on 3 sides by small towers with pepperpot rooves. A fifth tower inside the enclosure allowed internal communication between levels.
In 1408, during the 100 Years’ War, the castle was left virtually ruined. But a wedding with the Caissac family yielded an opportunity to rebuild it in 1456 based on its original design..
From 1750, after the Berals had succeeded the Caissacs, woodwork, alcoves and extended windows turned Sédaiges into a more comfortable residence. It remained in this state until the 1850s, as illustrated in photographs taken at the time.
Starting in 1860, under the influence of the famous architect Violet le Duc, the castle was fundamentally altered: a third floor covered the open courtyard, the three towers were elevated to the height of the original dungeon, slate replaced lauze on the roof, and Sédaiges took on the same appearance as it has today: one of the most beautiful example in Haute-Auvergne of neo-gothic architecture.
The castle is listed to the Additional Inventory of the Historical Monuments and is still inhabited by the twenty eighth generation of the descendants of the Sédaiges family.
SEDAIGES : name of Latin origin, contraction of SED/Headquarters and AQUA/Water.
Countess of Varax, grandmother of the current owners.